It can take a lot of time to properly research a web host and there is still a certain probability that you may end up with a bad one. The servers may go offline, it may be hard to reach a human being there, they may let their server get overloaded causing it to slow down , or the company could be bought and sold. For those reasons and possibly many more, you might find yourself having to move your website to a good web host; for example 4GoodHosting. ; )
WordPress is the most popular blogging platform, is is offered by most web hosts; although there a several other popular choices as well. When relocating your WordPress blog, you will need to go through the following steps. These steps also serve as a general outline for other blogging scripts too:
- Make/download a backup of your site/blog, including:
- Theme directories/files
- Uploads directory
- Plugins directory
- Database (you need to export this through mySQL using phpMyAdmin in your hosting account control panel )
- Copy your database (“db”)
- You can do this manually or use a program like phpMyAdmin to explore the database and the import it into your new hosting account using phpMyAdmin in your hosting account control panel.
- Create an installation of WordPress in your new hosting account.
- Configure WordPress to use your imported database
- Upload theme files, uploads and plugins direct directories
- Test that everything is working correctly.
WordPress has a built-in export/import tool that you can try instead of this manual method. You will still need to copy your upload directory manually.
Make sure you have the latest version of WordPress on both hosting account. Migrating from one version to a different version might cause errors, especially if it involves a major version jump.
A bad web host can be a nightmare, but it is not one you have to endure. Find another host and move your blog as soon as you can.
Dealing with a negligent web host can be a nightmare; but you don’t need to suffer any more. Bring your or your friend’s blog or website to 4GoodHosting. We offer free website transfers, just send us your inquiry to email@example.com
more information: http://4goodhosting.com/website-transfer.html